The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has been established under Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. FSSAI is an abbreviation used for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. FSSAI license is mandatory before starting any food business. All the manufacturers, traders, restaurants who are involved in food business must obtain a 14-digit registration or a license number which must be printed on food packages.
This step is taken by government to ensure that food products undergo certain quality checks, thereby reducing the instances of adulteration, substandard products and improve accountability of manufacturers.
Guidelines on FSSAI License Number
- The 14-digit number provides information about the manufacturer’s license or registration details and the manufacturing state.
- The Brand owner shall display the FSSAI logo and his license number on the label of food package.
- In case of imported food products, the importer shall display FSSAI logo and license number along with the name and address of importer on a sticker to be affixed before customs clearance.
Types of FSSAI License
Businesses engaged in food production and sales are required to apply for different type of food license based on turnover, scale of business and the type of activity. Such businesses must apply for either of the licenses (central or state) or simple registration. The criteria specified in rules are as follows:
- FSSAI Basic Registration: The Basic registration is required for small business or startups which have annual turnover below Rs.12 lakhs. This can be upgraded to state license as your sales graph increases.
- FSSAI State License: The Sate license is applicable to mid-sized companies which have annual turnover between Rs.12-20 crores.
- FSSAI Central license: The Central license is applicable typically on large business with annual turnover above Rs.20 crores. It is also required in cases where you need to supply at the government offices or import / export food products.
Documents required to obtain FSSAI License
- Declaration form.
- Authority letter.
- Copy of Property paper (If owned property).
- Copy of Rent agreement (If rented property).
- Food Safety Management System plan or certificate.
- Electricity/ Water bill (Business Place).
- Copy of Aadhaar Card/ Voter identity card of Proprietor/ Partners/ Director.
- Form IX: Nomination of Persons by a Company along with the Board Resolution.
Additional documents required for Manufacturer
- Blueprint/layout plan of the processing unit.
List of Equipment and Machinery.
List of food category desired to be manufactured.
Pesticide residues report of water.
Upload Production unit photograph.
Steps for getting the FSSAI license
The Food Business Operators looking for a new license or to renew their existing license have to apply through Application form B, so there is just one application form for either applying for a new license or to renew the existing license of a food business. One can file the FSSAI application directly with the government. The process is long and requires 30-60 days to get completed:
- For ( Central or State ) License – FBO’s ( Food Business Operators ) are required to have a valid personal e-mail ID and Mobile Number which should be kept active.
- For Basic Registration – FBO’s ( Food Business Operators ) are required to have a valid personal e-mail ID OR Mobile Number.
- The name of the FBO ( Food Business Operators ) should be spelt correctly in the application as it appears in the License.
- Fill form A on FSSAI Website and make the payment for FSSAI application at the FBO nearby your locality.
- On successful submission of application, the system will generate a unique Reference Id for the application.
- Take a print out of the “Acknowledgement” and “Online Application Form” and attach the Demand Draft for the fee (if payment mode is Demand Draft) and supported documents (Refer Document Checklist) required as part of the application and submit the application to your State Authority or Regional Office of Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, within 15 days from the date of submission of application online.
- You need to file Form B with the government. There are multiple declarations and resolutions that need to be filed with your application. E.g., board resolution, owner self-declaration. These declarations should ideally be prepared by a company secretary.
- You will then need to follow-up with the government department for an update on your application. The government may send back your application for edits – if you fail to respond with 15 days of the application, then your application will be rejected.
- The government department will take 45-60 working days to completely review your application and approve the same.
Else, you can hire Legal Agent for getting the FSSAI license for you.
FSSAI license can be renewed 30 days before the expiry of original license. you will re-file the Form A and form B for renewal of the application / license. It typically takes 30-40 for renewal of the license. The government fee is same for renewal as for new license issue.
Click Here for AGMARK Certification and Registration Procedure in India